I hate the fact that there are thousands of people out there who are completely clueless to the free money that is offered for people trying to get a higher education. At one point I was one of these people. I don’t claim to know everything, but I do know a few things as to which I would like to share with anyone willing to take the time and do the work.
- Don’t let anyone discourage you from attending college because of your financial situation. With dedication to scholarship searches and federal aid there is a way to finance your education. There are scholarships out there for everyone, not just the ones in good academic standing.
- Don’t listen to the statements that you’ll have time to make decisions about college later. From the minute you make the decision to go to college, you should begin thinking about what you what to do with your life and where you want to do it at. Having a good idea of college plans allows you to be ready when it is time to apply for federal aid.
- Apply for as many scholarships as possible. Never assume that you’ve applied for enough. If there is money left over from covering one semester or year, it can be carried over to the next semester/year.
- Deadlines approach quickly and some require knowing where you will be attending college. Keeping track of deadlines prevents missing out on scholarships and provides you with time to get the needed documents.
- Keep loans in mind, but don’t commit to any until it is known that you will need them. There are loans that are interest free and some that have high interest rates, so make sure to view every detail when considering a loan. Try not to sign up for credit cards unless you plan on not using them which will be hard for any college student. Credit cards can also get you with their interest rates.
My list of tips could go on forever, but this is a good start of tips that anyone should know about in regards to college finances. I know that this list will give a push in the right direction and get you into the mind-set of your finances when concerning college. There might be a continuation of the tips in another article, so keep your eyes open to another set of tips.